Before my diagnosis came back I scoured the net looking for real life images & references to help me understand what I was dealing with. So I'm sharing this with you, hoping to aid anyone elses who finds themselves in a similar situation.

Previous | Archives | Reads | Resources | Links | Support | Credits
Thursday, February 02, 2006
Genetics

Forgot to mention earlier that today I received a letter (and call) from the Genetics Councling place I'm dealing with. During my initial consultation I was told that the favored model (of four) indicated 3.9% risk of having the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation. But one of the models indicated a risk as high as 7.8% - still not high at all; in fact, 10% used to be their low level threshold. But during the course of the conversation that day - they discovered that I had multiple tumors, and while they said it would increase my odds of having the mution to well over the 10% threshold (and therefore did recommend that I proceed with the testing if I was comfortable with all of the implications) - I certainly wasn't expecting the 3.9% model to jump up to 51%. And none of the models used took into account my cousin, who had a double mastectomy (with reconstruction) the day after I had my surgery - she too had multiple tumors.

Since my cousin and I found out about our cancers at the same time, neither of us expected to be very high risk because the only person in our family who's had cancer was our grandmother; all of her daughters have been fine. Seems funny - before I had cancer I wasn't high risk at all. In fact, I kinda felt like my case wasn't taken too seriously because I was low risk, and relatively young - everyone thought it would be nothing. Guess we all thought wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mammogram



Microcalcifications on Right Breast
Birad 4

Diagnosis


Tumor 1: Size: 1cm; ER+(77%), PR+(10%), HER2/neu:2+ (positive?)(2) - FISH to confirm
Tumor 2: Size: .2cm; ER+(73%), PR-(1%), HER2/neu:1+ (negative?) (1.3)


Grading
Nuclear Score: 3
Tubular Score: 3
Mitotic Score: 2


Staging: TBD based on positve node count after Bilateral Mastectomy

Timeline


March 15 - Chemo started March 9 - Port installed
February 9 - Bilateral Mastectomy
January 23 - Bilateral MRI
January 20 - Genetic Counseling
December 8 - Lumpectomy with Sentinel Node Biopsy
November 8 - Excisional biopsy
November 3 - Stereotactic core biopsy on 2/3 sites
October 28 - Digital Mammogram
October 20 - Meeting with surgeon (Dr. gr8). Fine Needle Aspiration.
October 18 - Meeting w/ PCP - surgeon recommended
October 14 - Mammogram (w/immediate call back for magnified images) & ultrasound.

Reads


Blogroll Me!

Credits


  • Design: Me

  • Stock.xchng Image: Derived from Girls Tattoo by PatriotPro

  • Powered by Blogger
  • Support


    Nabby Adams


    When I first discover I had cancer I said - better today than 20 years ago,(much less early 1800's)

    This Essay on Nabby Adams shows just how far we've come.

    Journal | Mammogram | Timeline | Diagnosis | Nabby Adams |